WAG are committed to the idea of radical transparency. We are open, true and direct with information that concerns the lives and health of dogs everywhere.
For the last 10 years, we have worked hard to source the best-available meat for dog treats in Australia.
Our treats are air-dried and 100% natural. You’ll never see us include preservatives, additives, or artificial ingredients - because if you won’t find it in nature, you won’t find it in WAG. We don’t “process” anything. Our simple, slow-air dehydration is basically what anybody would be doing at home: except we do it on a larger scale!
We’ve always made sure that while we’re sourcing from the best (ethical and sustainable) suppliers internationally, we’re also working in line with the highest of international import regulations. When imported products have come through our facilities, they needed to be irradiated – this is an Australian import provision for meat.
Over the last two years, we have been contacted by so many of our customers stating that they are uncertain about products sourced from overseas - particularly China. We have been made aware that our processes haven’t been as transparent as we hoped they are.
Our research and our work with our suppliers has always made us confident in what we do. The facilities that our suppliers used have been visited by us at WAG, and we have seen the processing of our products firsthand. But recently, it’s been impossible not to notice the common misconceptions about sourcing from China. Social media and online forums are a space rife with misinformation and dissenting opinions that are largely based on a lack of research or information.
The feedback we received from you demonstrated to us that our customers care more about the fact that the duck (and chicken) is sourced locally in Australia, than whether we can assure you that it is safe and ethical to eat imported meat.
This is what we have done in respect of those wishes:
- We have discontinued our Duck Breast until we can find the best duck source in Australia.
- Our Chicken Breast is sourced locally in Australia and available as of January 1, 2020.
- Our Chicken Breast & Sweet Potato Wrap has been discontinued.
Our Duck Breast is one of our top three favourite products. Dogs love it. So when we made the decision to discontinue the range, it wasn’t a decision we made lightly. All of our decisions concern the wellbeing and welfare of your dog, their health and our environment.
Our Chicken Breast is sourced locally in Australia and available now. It's ethically sourced, free range and compliant with the RSPCA Free Range Standard. You can read about the RSPCA Approved Farming Scheme to learn more.
This is what we plan to do this year:
- Outline how we source and package our products with transparency and traceability
- Bring you closer to our farmers and suppliers, showing you how we support Australian businesses
- Make sure we’re here to support our wonderful community of customers, and ready to answer questions where needed.
And in case you have more questions...
Are all of your products sourced in Australia?
No, they’re not. Here’s the list of our products that aren’t sourced in Australia:
- Bully Sticks in 4 Packs are sourced from Brazil, however single Bully Sticks are sourced from Australia. Braided Bully Sticks and Bully Bites are sourced from Brazil.
- Veggie Ears are sourced from China, however they are not irradiated. As they’re not meat, there’s no need for irradiation upon entry.
- Antlers (Split and Whole) and Venison Jerky are sourced from New Zealand.
- Rabbit Ears are sourced from Poland.
Have you got even more questions? Get in touch with us, and we’ll be with you as soon as possible.